We love this time of year; just as it gets cold and right before the holidays. It’s early enough that winter hasn’t quite arrived or dragged on for what seems like eternity, and just warm enough so ice and snow doesn’t make it miserable to be out shopping for loved ones.
And, it’s the perfect time to follow a few quick tips to help ensure you have a warm and cozy holiday season, and most importantly, keep your home warm! Here are a few quick tips to help get your home prepared for the deep, dark nights when old man Winter comes around:
- Fireplace chimney: Use a flashlight to look up into the chimney for a visual check and see if there are any obstructions. If you suspect a problem do not use your fireplace until it has been checked by an home service expert.
- Fireplace safety: Keep decorations, wrapping and any other flammables at least 6′ away from the front of the fireplace.
- Attic insulation: If you do not know whether or not you have enough attic insulation in your home, get an insulation survey from Cool Heat Mechanical Systems or another reputable energy-saving contractor.
- Air filters: Replace common 1″ air filters now and every month.
- Duct registers: Check that registers (room air vents) are open and not obstructed by furniture or room decor.
- Window sealing: Use a feather to determine where window leaks occur. Move the feather around the windows perimeter on a windy day, being sure to keep it several inches from the surface.
- Furnace flue: Visually check the condition of the furnace flue, this is the large ‘pipe’ usually at the top. Dangerous gases exit this flue. If there appear to be gaps or problems contact Cool Heat for a safety inspection.
- Furnace tune-up: Have a NATE (North American Technician Excellence) trained Cool Heat technician clean and Tune-up the furnace. This will help ensure continuous operation throughout the season.
- Thermostat program: Set or reset your thermostat to come on 2 hours before you wake up, and turn off 1 hour after your typical bed time.
- Thermostat replacement: Get a new programmable thermostat to help reduce energy. Cool Heat carries the best thermostats on the market; call us anytime to find out more.
We hope that these tips will help keep your home warm this winter. All of us at Cool Heat Mechanical Systems wish you a wonderful, warm and cozy holiday season!